Running Two Annual Conferences for Entrepreneurs in Bangkok and Austin with Catalina Alvarez from Dynamite Circle
Nov 15th, 2018 by The Events Podcast
This is an amazing interview to hear from to a conference organizer about how she plans, markets and runs large events. Catalina manages two annual conferences in Austin and Bangkok for a group for ‘location independent entrepreneurs’ called the Dynamite Circle founded by Dan and Ian from The Tropical MBA which I’m also a member of.
On the interview we discuss:
- How Catalina moved from Spain to Miami then went to work in China aged just 18
- What it was like living in Shenzhen
- How she came to work for the Dynamite Circle
- How they sell a lot of tickets for the next year right after the end of the conference, and before the dates are even announced!
- The pros and cons of holding an annual conference in the same venue versus moving it around
- The problems in Asia with customs when your shipping packages from sponsors worldwide
- How the payment schedule works when working with conference hotels
- Why you might not want to use a hotel for the first year of a conference
- How conference hotels in the US are way more expensive then in Asia and charge for every extra
- How they start very early looking for sponsors and speakers
- How people love to hear real stories from their peers rather than professional speakers
- How they go for ‘actionable;’ rather than ‘inspirational’ sessions
- How they send a feedback form right after the event
- How they run three whole days of pre conference sessions at the hotel
- How they sometimes have to find replacement speakers at the last minute
- The structure of their conference team
- How they organize a team of volunteers to help run the actual conference
- How they use Attendify App and EventsFrame
- How the party venues change hands so often in Bangkok that they always need to find new ones
- How they have a ‘Master of Ceremonies’ for the whole event to introduce everyone on stage and also coordinate the parties.
This podcast is brought to you by www.eventsframe.com - Effortless ticketing and attendee management with NO ticket fees....Make the switch from Eventbrite today. Email email@example.com with the subject line ‘PODCAST’ for a special discount code.
I hope you enjoyed the podcast and if you did please leave us an iTunes review it really means a lot to us !
Finally please join our Facebook Community of #eventprofs to keep the learning going
Get in touch with me via dantaylor.me