Liam Martin - Founder of the ‘Running Remote’ Conference in Bali
Feb 21st, 2019 by The Events Podcast
Liam is the founder of TimeDoctor and staff.com and also runs the ‘Running Remote’ conference in Bali. In this interview we discuss:
- How Liam started off with a plan to be a Sociology professor but it didn’t work out as he wasn’t good at teaching
- How he started the conference by finding a niche that no existing conference was serving (a great tip for listeners
- Why Liam wears his ‘Running Remote Conference’ t shirt every time he speaks at another conference
- We discuss how not many people talk about the economics of running a conference (apart from The Events Podcast)
- How Liam focused heavily on the financials to make sure he didn’t lose money
- How you can get hotels to pay you 10-20% of all room booking fees
- How to negotiate with hotels
- How he is dealing with local governments who want to pay to bring his conference to them as they want to attract remote workers
- How it’s way easier to get sponsors for your second conference (Liam 10x’d his prices!)
- How he gets to break even just from sponsors
- Pro Tip: Get speakers to record a promo video to show they are speaking at your event - great social proof
- They sold 9% of tickets in first month, 19% in second, 30% in third, 15% in fourth, 28% in fifth, 10% in sixth
- Pro Tip: If you can get 50% of conference attendees to come again next year you are doing great
- How they made a mistake only having vegetarian food in year one
- If you have a VIP party….then charge for it
- How he got all his speakers Diplomatic Immunity!
This podcast is sponsored by www.eventsframe.com - Effortless ticketing and attendee management with NO ticket fees and plans from just $20.month! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘PODCAST’ for a special secret discount code.
I hope you enjoyed the podcast and if you did please leave us a review anywhere on the web it really means a lot to us !
More information on Liam can be found on https://runningremote.com