Liam is the founder of TimeDoctor and staff.com and also runs the ‘Running Remote’ conference in Bali. In this interview we discuss:
- How Liam started off with a plan to be a Sociology professor but it didn’t work out as he wasn’t good at teaching
- How he started the conference by finding a niche that no existing conference was serving (a great tip for listeners
- Why Liam wears his ‘Running Remote Conference’ t shirt every time he speaks at another conference
- We discuss how not many people talk about the economics of running a conference (apart from The Events Podcast)
- How Liam focused heavily on the financials to make sure he didn’t lose money
- How you can get hotels to pay you 10-20% of all room booking fees
- How to negotiate with hotels
- How he is dealing with local governments who want to pay to bring his conference to them as they want to attract remote workers
- How it’s way easier to get sponsors for your second conference (Liam 10x’d his prices!)
- How he gets to break even just from sponsors
- Pro Tip: Get speakers to record a promo video to show they are speaking at your event - great social proof
- They sold 9% of tickets in first month, 19% in second, 30% in third, 15% in fourth, 28% in fifth, 10% in sixth
- Pro Tip: If you can get 50% of conference attendees to come again next year you are doing great
- How they made a mistake only having vegetarian food in year one
- If you have a VIP party….then charge for it
- How he got all his speakers Diplomatic Immunity!
This podcast is sponsored by www.eventsframe.com - Effortless ticketing and attendee management with NO ticket fees and plans from just $20.month! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘PODCAST’ for a special secret discount code.
I hope you enjoyed the podcast and if you did please leave us a review anywhere on the web it really means a lot to us !
More information on Liam can be found on https://runningremote.com